This is a great recipe to make with some friends around the kitchen. The pot stickers are steamed and fried in shifts due to the quantity of them, and we tend to eat them as we cook them. The left overs can be stored in the refrigerator and heated the next day in a frying pan.
You start by mixing all the pot sticker ingredients in a large bowl. Next grab your wanton skins, a bowl of water and a wanton squeezer tool. Lay the wanton skin in the squeezer and lightly damped the edges. Add some pork filling (a generous teaspoon, depending on the size of your skins) being careful not to overfill the skins.
Once you have enough filled pot stickers to fill your steamer, start steaming them. We use a two tiered bamboo steamer but any other kind will work also.
After 10 minutes of steaming transfer pot stickers to a frying pan with hot oil and fry until lightly browned on both sides. You can decide how crisp you want them. If you prefer your pot stickers steamed you can skip this step since the pork will be fully cooked after 10 minutes of steaming.
If you are making the green beans as well, you should start those when you begin steaming your last batch of pot stickers and they should be ready at about the same time.
The finished pot stickers can also be kept in a covered pot in the oven at around 200 degrees while you finish the others, if you want to serve them all at the same time. And don’t forget to make your dipping sauce.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon crushed Szechwan peppers
- 1½ tablespoons sesame oil
- 15 scallions chopped (use most of the green tops if fresh)
- ½ inch of fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 package of wonton skins
- vegetable oil for frying
- ⅔ cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon hot chili oil
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound green beans, both ends trimmed
- ¼ cup chopped garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2-3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1-2 tablespoon soy sauce
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl
- Place a heaping teaspoon of mixture into center of each wonton skin
- Lightly wet the edges of wonton skin with water, fold over and squeeze edges (a wonton squeezer tool makes this easy)
- Steam pot stickers in steamer for about ten minutes
- Heat vegetable oil on medium heat in frying pan
- Transfer pot stickers into hot oil and fry until lightly browned on both sides
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl
- Heat the peanut oil in a large frying pan until hot but not smoking
- Add green beans to pan and cover with large screen or lid to reduce oil splatter
- Stir occasionally
- Add red pepper after about 5 minutes
- Keep stirring and cooking beans for about 15 minutes
- When beans are close to done (they will be shriveled) lower heat so garlic doesn’t burn and then add the garlic
- Add sesame oil and soy sauce and stir